Wednesday, October 03, 2007

The "Old Girl"

Today is my Grandmothers birthday. She was born in 1900 and passed away in 1994. She lived alone in senior housing until a few weeks before she died. She broke a hip for the second time and was too tired to fight it. This picture is Gram with her mother, Jessie (back left) and her 3 sisters, Florence Ester(1895), Cecelia Mae (1898), Irene Elizabeth (1899) and my grandma, Hazel Henrietta (1900). Don't you just love these old names?
I love both these pictures. They were older in this one and Grandma is on the right. Grandma's father left them when she was young. Her mother opened a store in her home to support her girls.
She later remarried and they had a son. Grandma always considered them fortunate to have a step father who treated them as his own. Here are 4 generations with my brother.
The male 4 generations.
My Mom and her brothers always called my Grandma and Grandpa the "Old Girl" and the "Old Gent". One of her sisters felt they were being disrespectful but that didn't stop them. To them it was a loving term, just like any nickname.
The thing I remember the most about my Grandma was her love of cards. When I was young I remember her canasta club and the card shuffling machine. As a teen I remember her playing tap rummy at the Legion for nickles. We played "spite and malice" (Skipbo) with Grandma up until she went in the hospital and she was still a terrible looser!
Because of my family situations, I spent a lot of time with my Grandparents. I was fortunate to have them for a large share of my life.

5 comments:

Carole Burant said...

I so enjoyed looking at those old pictures...your grandma was very beautiful as were her siblings! Closing my eyes and wishing your grandma a very Happy Birthday:-) xox

Susie said...

I also love the old pictures. In so many of them, the subjects don't smile. In yours, they look so happy!
I'm sure your Grandma is smiling down at this wonderful tribute to her on her birthday!
xo

Muum said...

Wonderful pics and story. thanks for sharing

KT said...

I do love those old names, and what precious photos. So sweet.
Katie

Peg said...

I love the old b/w photos and these are so beautiful, I especially love the first on of your Grandmother and siblings. Thank you for sharing :o)