Sunday, November 12, 2006

Corner of my Home

This is a very favorite corner for me because of all the memories . This secretary came from my fathers family and was in our home as long as I can remember. It is the one piece I HAD to have when my Mom passed away. It is in my dining room and I will be showing you around the room in future posts


These shoes were made by an old friend of my Mom's who was an artist. One is mine and one my brothers. I'm not sure where I got the Gospel Primer but will show you some pics in another post. The Bible Story book was mine as a child.
I found this funeral fan at an antique mart. The picture triggered my memory of a puzzle we had as a child. I searched e-bay for several months until I found one. I had given myself a $50. limit but got it for $5.!! The puzzle is made of blocks, so it makes 6 different pictures. One is the same as the fan. I had forgotten all about it until I saw that picture. One of these luncheon sets belonged to my Fathers family and one to my Mom's. The small flower cup was also made by my Mom's friend. I've had the tiny tea set since I was a child.
These are Bibles from my family members. They include a small one my Grandfather had in the service and a Sweedish one my Father got as a young man.This nun doll is like one I had as a child. It came from the Red & White grocery store in the small town that I grew up in. I think it cost 99 cents. I know I had some others but this is the one I remember most. I searched antique stores for a couple years to find this. I found one that I thought was it but knew immediatly that it had the wrong cross. It is funny how our minds remember details we had no idea were in there!
This Dec. angel was my Mom's. Her birthday is Dec 3rd.
I have always loved the inside of this secretary. As you can see I use it. I love the detail and all the cubbies and drawers.


As you can see there are a lot of memories in this corner. Read my "Memories" post on Sept. 27 in the archives to get a better picture of why some of these things are so special.

6 comments:

Naturegirl said...

Wonderful memories.
I haven't heard "Red and White grocery" for years!!We had one where I grew up.Our family shopped there and I remember winning a HUGE rag doll in a draw!

Lena said...

Hi Jean,
It was a nice surprise this morning to see another new reader in Merryville! Thank you for your kind comment.
I've enjoyed my visit to your site very much. You have a beautiful home and beautiful grandbabies.
These are lovely family heirloomsI can see why each of them is special to you.

Carole Burant said...

Hi Jean...thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment:-) I love "meeting" new people!! Oh my, how I love your secretary and it's no wonder you enjoy it so much...it holds a treasure chest worth of memories! I had completely forgotten about those block puzzles...I had some of those too!!! I'll now go read some of your other posts so I can get to know you better:-) Hugs xox

savvycityfarmer said...

I have always loved the old black crusty Bibles....found on almost everyone's shelf....

Smalltown RN said...

What a lovely piece of furniture. You have some wonderful treasures there. Thank you for sharing them with me.

Susie said...

What precious treasured memories! I love how you gathered them together in the beautiful secretary :)