Sunday, July 15, 2007

Green Thumb Sunday


Welcome to Green Thumb Sunday. We've been getting some much needed rain here although so far only short, spotty showers. They have eased the need to water every day.

I love cone flowers (echinacea)! I think these are Magnus. I have 2 new colors, yellow and sunset, but my friendly neighborhood wood chuck ate them! The plants are surviving but are only a few inches tall. I saw the critter the other day going under my shed, which I thought was wood chuck proof after I put fencing all around the bottom!This one is Ruby Star. I like the dark burgundy stems.
My trumpet vine (campsis radicans) is doing very well. It can be invasive and I don't recommend planting too close to your house. I just mow down the new sprouts when I mow the lawn.
The humming birds like it and once it starts to flower it blooms most of the summer.
This is the best my flowering onions (allium) have ever done. They must like the hot, dry weather we've been having.
Another favorite is bee balm (manarda). The humming birds also love it.
This is a flower that definitely makes me smile! They remind me of a creature on the Muppets! I have a little tall pink but the loosestrife is over taking it so I think I'll have to move it.
This is a petite delight bee balm. I moved it this year so I'm hoping it will spread. I just got it last year.
Thanks for stopping by. I can't wait to see what you have blooming in your garden this week!



8 comments:

OldBagNewTricks said...

Thank you so kindly for the tour -- what I have blooming are some very determined weeds. If they are pretty enough I will let them stay. I love your red bee balm -- I once had some in lavendar-pink-lilac which is not so striking as your red.

Jenny

Anonymous said...

Great to have another tour of your garden. I just love the birdbox. Do you get many birds nesting inside?
Sara from farmingfriends

RUTH said...

Wonderful flowers...sorry to hear of your wood chuck problems. I love your Trumpet Vine. Happy GTS

Laurie and Chris said...

Your flowers look really nice. Love the color of your new bee balm. I think I lost all of mine:(

Have a great Sunday.

MrBrownThumb said...

Hi Jean,

Really nice tour. I like the birdhouse behind the coneflowers.

Happy GTS thanks for stopping by

Aiyana said...

I wish we could get some rain here. Your photos are lovely.

Anonymous said...

Your coneflowers are gorgeous. I love the Ruby star, the color is great.
I planted bee balm last year and a gopher ate it. I'll have to try it again. The pictures of your bee balm has inspired me.

kris said...

Beautiful flowers! I love coneflower and monarda. The trumpet flower is gorgeous - wish it was hardy here!