Friday, May 18, 2007

The Book of Perennials

I 'm not sure where this book came from. I think a customer gave it to me a few years ago. It is by Alfred C.Hottes and was first printed in 1923. Mine is a third edition from 1930. My only disappointment is that all the pictures are black and white.I love this fern illustration page. The opposite page lists the common names and all the planting and growing information.
These pages of "Lists of Twenty-Fives" is quite helpful. Click on the picture and it will enlarge so you can actually read the lists. It gives lists of plants for wet and dry places, cut flowers and edging plants,
tallest plants, blue plants, white plants, daisy-like plants,
April blooms, May blooms, June blooms, July blooms, August blooms,
September blooms and after frost blooms.
I don't have a list of the month flowers bloom in any of my other books. They usually just give a vague idea such as midsummer.
The book also gives garden planting ideas. It would probably do me good to sit and read this book. It is full of planting information and that kind of information is never out of date.

2 comments:

OldBagNewTricks said...

What a wonderfully useful book. I too have a hard time pinning down when what will bloom.... but it just now occured to me why, when I scrolled down to see you Lily of the Valley bouquet. My LOTV has been shot for more than a month. I have my dad's old Encyclopedia of Gardening and I think about half those pictures are black and white.... but it's real helpful.

Jenny

Carole Burant said...

That truly is an amazing book to have...no matter how old it is, the flowers it mentions are still the same so the information it provides would be very useful!! xox