Sunday, March 18, 2007

Plates

This is a commemorative plate from the Sesquicentennial in my hometown. As you can see it was in 1975. The celebration went on for awhile and it was lots of fun. We had men's and women's groups from different business and we challenged each other to all kinds of things. We had some challenges for the younger women in our group and some for the older ones. I was 8 months pregnant for my son so I was stuck with the older group. We got to play jacks while the others played volleyball! I rode on a float in the parade on June 28th and my son was born July 2! My daughter was 5 and remembers being put in "jail" with her Dad for breaking one of the silly "laws" they had! Luckily that was her only "jail" experience!
The picture on this plate was done by my Great Aunt Grace. She was quite an artist but because she was an "in-law" this is all of her work that we have in our family. I love that this is all done in black.
The lady who painted this plate ended up being a very well know china painter in this area. She was a friend of the family and I'm guessing that this is one of her earlier pieces. There is no date on it. I, of course, love all the bright colors.
Like so many of my possessions, I wish I had more information but there is no one left to get it from.If you have family things ask about them before it's too late and don't assume that you will remember. Write it down!

2 comments:

TJ said...

we have quite a few covered bridges here in my Ohio area!
All the plates are pretty!!
:-D

Beemoosie said...

Lovely plates, Jean!