Sunday, October 08, 2006

Fall Picnic Fare




My kids and I have been going on a fall picnic to Alleghany State Park with my aunt and cousins for about 25 years. We go every year on Columbus Day, rain or shine (or snow, at least once!) . We've had as many as 25 ( not counting the racoon family one year!) but the count is getting smaller as my cousins kids go to college. marry or move away. My kids and their spouses take the day off work and wouldn't miss it ! So many of our family traditions had to stop for one reason or another, so I am determined to keep this one alive. We're all excited about J.Shea's first year!
We all bring any food we want, but once you bring something people like they tend to expect it to become a staple.Today is "get ready day" so I will spend some time cooking.
I always make my first chili of the season,

and usually bring sausage rolls



and "Gramma crackers" (actually oyster nibbles but my Mom always brought them, thus the name).

The weather looks like it is going to be great. I hope I'll have lots of pictures to share.

2 comments:

savvycityfarmer said...

Nice meeting you, thanks for such thoughtful words...we'll chat soon.

I love your banner and your scrumptuos fall display...

Dawn said...

mmmmmmmmm....the sausage rolls look very good!