Monday, September 17, 2012

It's Bloomin' Tuesday!

 Welcome!
Today it's all about my Japanese Anemone or Windflowers.  We are having a lovely autumn day with a nice breeze and you can see why this plant is called Windflowers.  The blooms grow about 12 inches or more above the mounding foliage and they are swaying gently in the fall breeze.  I only have 4 varieties now but I'm always on the lookout for a new one.
 
 Queen Charlotte
 
 King Henry
 
 Max Vogel
 
 Honorine Jobert
 
 In my area they do well in shade or full sun. They can take over but are easy to controll.  Each large mound is made up of several small plants so they can be pulled out as needed.  Established plants can grow to 5 feet tall.
 
 I think there is beauty in every stage of this bloom.  The green center expands after the blooms are spent and eventually pops open full of fluffy seeds.
 
 The only drawback is that you need to be careful around them because the bees love them too!
 
Since all the gardens seem to be waning, this will be the last Bloomin' Tuesday post for this garden season. 
Join the autumn tour by adding your name and permalink to Mr Linky and add a link to this post on your post. 
 See you in the spring!

16 comments:

Beth said...

Hi Jean, I love your anemones. I have some white ones that bloom in spring. I would love some of the pink ones for fall color - that's where I am "short" - fall bloom. Next spring I'll have to get some!

Yael at Home Garden Diggers said...

Jean,

I Love your anemones. I have two - one pale pink and one a little more vivid. I have never seen any double ones like you have. I almost thought they were dahlias. They are just lovely.

Yael from Home Garden Diggers

daisy g said...

Those are lovely flowers and they all look so different.
I'll be missing you Jean!
Enjoy the season!

Becky Elmuccio said...

Your anemones are beautiful! Thanks for hosting and I will see you in the spring.

Rosemary said...

Jean you are highlighting one of my favourite early Autumn flowers... You have some beauties!

Suzanne said...

Gorgeous blossoms as always!

Angel Buff said...

Finding you a little late, but excited to follow along here. And thanks for the chance to link up too.

Deb said...

Hi Jean. You've hosted another great year of Bloomin' Tuesday. Thanks for a lot of beautiful flowers each week. Hope you have a great fall and winter.

James said...

Hi – Will you please post a link to your Blog at The Gardening Community at vorts.com? Our members will love it.
Members include: Gardeners, Gardening Enthusiasts, Experts and Horticulturists.
It's easy to do, just cut and paste the link and it automatically links back to your website...
You can also add Photos, Videos, Articles and Classifieds if you like.
Email me if you need any help or would like me to do it for you.
The Gardening Community: http://www.vorts.com/gardening/
Thanks,
James Kaufman, Editor
Share something to get us through winter!

xinex said...

You still have a lot of blooming flowers and they are all so pretty...Christine

Donna Heber said...

Hi Jean,

All of your Japanese Anemones are stunning! I especially love King Henry and its gorgeous shade of pink. As the gardens wind down I am going to miss joining everyone. Thank you for taking the time to host this get together.

astudentgardener said...

Thanks for hosting.

Kathy Shea Mormino, The Chicken Chick said...

Thank you for hosting this link party! I would love to have you join my very first Blog Hop.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/09/clever-chicks-blog-hop-1.html
Cheers,
Kathy
The Chicken Chick

Kathy said...

Hi, Jean
It is my goal as editor of the newsletter for the Adirondack Chapter of the North American Rock Garden Society (ACNARGS) to help the members (many of whom are middle-aged or older) enjoy the gardening features of the digital world. That is why your blog was mentioned in this issue: http://www.acnargs.org/newsletter/201210.pdf

FYI the ACNARGS is located in Ithaca, NY, home of Cornell University. It should really be called the Finger Lakes Chapter, imho. There is probably a story about that, but I don't know it.

xinex said...

Your flowers are gorgeous! I have a bush similar to the one with pink flowers. I wonder if it's the same one...Christine

Nancy W said...

Nice to see blooming flowers, our ground is covered with snow! Look forward to seeing you in the spring!