Monday, July 26, 2010

It's Bloomin' Tuesday!

You can tell by the rain lilies that we had more rain. It rained a lot over the weekend and we had flash flooding and 3 tornadoes a few miles from home. The only good thing was the much needed rain!
The Star Gazer Lily is huge and starting to bloom.
They are a lovely lily and they have a wonderful spicy scent. The bulb doesn't seem to multiply but they get taller and more blooms every year.
I have 3 Rose of Sharon bushes and they are all in bloom and full of buds.
A double pink..
white...

..and a white with a red center.
The Datura (Angel trumpet) has it's first bloom of the season. I love this flower! Not only is it beautiful but it has an amazing scent.
I have mine in a pot on the deck and I keep it in the basement over the winter.
The blooms open at night and last 1 day.
Even the back is beautiful!
My lime light hydrangea is full of buds that should open any day now. The bush got really large this year.
I moved this hydrangea to a shadier spot a couple years ago and this is it's first bloom. It did have light blue, pink and lavender blooms before I moved it.
I'm thinking the flood brought me more than weeds and seeds. This is my lacecap hydrangea last year and ..
... this is this year. The flood must have changed the balance of the soil. I'm not real fond of the bright blue but maybe it'll change back next year.
That's some of what is bloomin' in Western New York this week. I'd love to see what's bloomin' where you are planted. Just add your name, state and permalink to Mr Linky below and add a link to this post to your blog. There is no better way to see what's bloomin' than to take our garden tour. On with the show!



14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish we could get some more rain, it's been so hot here. Hooray for your Limelight, wow it grew alot. In a few years it will be as big as mine. :)

Tracy said...

Hi Jean - Love those lilies and Rose of Sharon. I don't have either of these so I will drool over yours. Your Datura is to die for - wish I could smell it! And your hydrangeas look great. Mine are awful this year. So glad the tornados stayed away from your yard - yikes!

Sharon@KeenInspirations said...

Hi Jean,
Thank you for hosting the party! I haven't heard of a Limelight hydrangea before, but I'm gonna have to find one now! All of your hydrageas are beautiful!
Enjoy your week!
Sharon

Julie said...

My first time "linking up". I recently learned that what I have in my yard is a Rose of Sharon (white with red center too). I never knew there was a double pink one. Fantastic!

Sherry said...

I love the rose of sharon, mine is not yet ready to bloom. I would like to plant another somewhere. Your limelight hydrangea is amazing too. Thanks for hosting a great party. I will come back tomorrow to look at other gardens.

teresa said...

Oh my gosh, your blooms are just gorgeous. That rain really helped around here. the grass is getting green again and my flowers are lush and happy again.

Alea said...

The Rose of Sharon are beautiful! And I love the color variations on the hydrangea. They are such interesting flowers; a slightly different shade each year.

Diana LaMarre said...

You are the Queen of Rose of Sharon! I bought one two summers ago in bloom (same as your white with red heart), but it has not bloomed since. Maybe it still will this year.

Darla said...

Wow that's some bad weather ya'll have had. Nice showing today. Just go ahead and did up the white althea and send it to me, okay? Love it!

CosmoGirl Carla said...

As usual, your blooms are fantastic. I'm jealous of your gorgeous hydrangeas. Thanks for hosting!

Karen said...

The Rose of Sharon bushes are fantastic! I have never had any luck growing them, but you sure do! Love the white with the red center...

Thank you!

Heidi Pocketbook said...

Your flowers are all lovely. I especially like the lily.

Paula said...

yOUR FLOWERS ARE SO brilliant! Love the hydrangeas! Paula

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Hi Jean,
I'm late to the party. I love your blooms! Your rose of Sharons are a favorite of mine. There was one already planted at the first home we bought, on 3 lots. It died after a couple years, and I was sad.

I like all the different colors of the hydrangeas, even if the one changed.