Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Directions.

The snowmen from yesterdays post are made of dough. 2 cups flour, 1 cup salt, 1 cup hot water, add more flour if needed. The hearts are made of applesauce and cinnamon. Laurie made them for us.
Roll out the dough and cut with a gingerbread man cookie cutter, then reshape the lower body. The eyes, mouth and buttons down the front are black beads, the nose is a toothpick. Bend the arms to the shape you want and add hearts, cinnamon sticks, beads, nose and a hole in the very top for hanging before you bake.
Bake at 250 until somewhat hard but not brown (we baked about 30 min.)
Let cool and set. When completely cool paint on cheeks. Then cover with varnish and sprinkle with glitter. Tie on strips of cloth for a scarf and add string (we used embroidery floss) for hanging.
As you can see I also used some rusty bells and snowflakes that I had.
These were so much fun to make. Would be a fun kids project, too.

3 comments:

Diana LaMarre said...

Jean,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write out and post these directions!

I am copying it now.

Muum said...

I wouldn't have thought that they were so do-able! These snowmen are totally cute!

Ruth Welter said...

Jean, I love your dough snowmen..they look good enough to eat, but I know you cannot. I guess I'm thinking cookies because that is what I'm eating right now. They are adorable.