Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Enough cold talk!

Alright, it is time to move on! No more cold talk, even tho it is noon and the temp finally went above 0 (it's 1) and I did brave the unheated upstairs to get pictures of a bedroom up there just for you all.This bed was my Grandparents. It's the first thing they bought when they got married. I got it because I am the oldest Granddaughter. I love this bed but when I moved my computer into my bedroom I switched it for an old 3/4 bed because of room. The dressers that go with it are in my room downstairs.
Most of the pictures and bedclothes in this room were in my room before I got tired of it and switched to purple.
This needlepoint chair was my Great grandmothers. I have another one with a different design, too. The slip from my Grandfathers baptism is hanging on the chair.
The night shirt with the red trim was my Great grandfathers. I mentioned it here. The other stuff I bought at sales.
This washstand belonged to a very dear friend of ours. I talked a little about her and her husband here. She actually had it in her house as a child. I love it but wish I had room for it downstairs. So much stuff, so little room!
I bought this christening dress at a sale on my street. There was a note on it that said "lovingly made by Grandma". It broke my heart that no one in the family wanted it so I had to adopt it.
The walls are in real bad shape in this room so I painted over the wallpaper as it is all that is holding up the old horsehair plaster. As long as I don't use or heat the upstairs there is no use (taking out another mortgage) fixing it up. I told my kids it would only give them or a nursing home more money and they already have more than I do!

9 comments:

Susie said...

Jean,
I can hardly believe that no one wanted that beautiful christening dress. It's a gorgeous heirloom!
So glad you adopted it!
:)

Smalltown RN said...

What wonderful treasures and finds....and to be able to make a collection of it all and keep it in one room is awesome...and yes the christening gown is gorgeous...I have put my girls away with their treasures....I truly hope they want theirs....

TJ said...

I loved every picture...you have some really nice heirlooms!!
:-D

Carole Burant said...

Omigosh, what a delightful bedroom full of treasures!! Hey I'd go sleep in there, even if there is no heat!! lol I love the vintage nightshirts and that christening dress is gorgeous too. I'm so glad you took pictures for us:-) Hugs xox

Dawn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dawn said...

Okay...so I am a little bit picky about misspelled words..
What I said was...I can't believe that a family would sell a christening gown that was in the family.
Glad you got it.
You know I love your stuff..

Beemoosie said...

What a sweet room! Your pictures are gorgeous!

The Tiquehunters Wife said...

I really enjoyed seeing your lovely furniture and family heirlooms. Everything is even more special when it has been passed down from your grandparents and family! I'm so glad that you adopted that charmingly sweet christening gown too!

Lilli in Vancouver said...

You have such wonderful treasures :)