Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Apple Pie

I was hungry for meatloaf and apple pie so I invited my son and daughter-in-law to stay for dinner when they came to get J.Shea Can't make a meatloaf or a pie for just one person. Well, I could, but it sure wouldn't be good for me! Anyway, I thought you might be interested in my apple pie. I got this recipe out of the newspaper many years ago and it is the only apple pie I have made since.
Make a crust for a single crust pie. Peel and slice 7 to 9 apples (I make a deep dish)
Add 1/2 cups sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
dash of salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Mix and pour into crust
Topping
Mix together until crumbly
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 stick margarine
Sprinkle over pie.

Put pie in a brown paper grocery bag and seal the bag ( I just fold it over a couple times.)

Bake at 400 for 1 hour.

The top gets crispy which I love but the next best thing is that if the pie runs over, as most apple pies do, the mess stays in the bag. This pie is best the day it is made. The topping tends to get soggy the next day.
Give it a try, I'll bet you'll love it!

6 comments:

savvycityfarmer said...

mmmmmmmm...I've got a sweet tooth.

Susie said...

What a different way to bake a pie. I will be trying this one sometime soon!
Happy Halloween!!

savvycityfarmer said...

You may enjoy my redesigned back porch...right up your alley, I believe...still waiting for a piece of pie...my coffee's getting cold.

The Tiquehunters Wife said...

Your recipe sounds great! I'm definaly going to try it soon!-- the meatloaf sounds good too, haven't made that in awhile.

Farmgirl Cyn said...

YUM. I have heard of baking pies in brown grocery bags, but have never seen a recipe! Looks good!

Diana LaMarre said...

Well, how did I miss this post?
What a clever idea. I am copying the recipe right now.
Thanks so much for sharing!