Friday, October 20, 2006

Shop tour

Well, it's another dark, rainy day in Western NY, so I'll show you more pics of my beauty shop. I have a whole wall of hair "stuff" that I have accumulated over the years. Don't you love these old graphics? I use these to give a little color. I bought a few at a flee market and they even have the human hair nets inside!

The light blue object in the next pic is an old blow drier. It sets on a stand but could be held for a short time. It is very heavy. On top of the curling iron box is an electric crimping iron. On the right is an electric cylinder that heats up. You can put a curling iron in it to heat it up. I assume that came between the irons you heat on a stove and electric ones.

Two early curling irons hang on the pegs. The old electric irons did not have a temperature gage. They just get HOT. A shop I worked in in 1975 used the old irons to do hair at the funeral home. The worst part was the burning hair smell because you had no way to regulate the temperature. They offer to take me with and teach me how to do it but I "gracefully declined"! I have gone to a funeral home once since to do hair on request and one customer tells me she has made all her arrangements in advance and has me listed to do her hair. Now that's something to look forward to!

1 comment:

Susie said...

I guess you could consider it a great compliment and measure of trust that she has chosen you for the "final hairdressing!"